“When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Blog Post #6--Annotating Google Earth

I tried and I tried, but I could not figure out how to do this.  We talked about it at our last meeting, but despite the tutorials sent to me by Richard and despite my repeated attempts, I just can't figure it out.  Perhaps it's because I'm a Mac person?  Doubt it.  Still, what I wanted to do was annotate Google Earth and show you all where I grew up.  Instead, I'm posting a pic that I grabbed as a screen shot from Google Earth.  It's the house I grew up in, located in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. 


The red square is the window to my bedroom.  The blue square is the Catholic Church.  When my mother finally sold the house and moved away from Steamboat because of her health (long story; she can not breathe at altitude), the Catholic Church bought the house and it is now the priest's residence or something like that.  Interestingly, when we lived there we had a fenced backyard.  The fence is gone and there is now an uninhibited view of the church.  

The left part of the house was originally built in 1904.  It had many lives, including serving as an infirmary at some point.  The original middle part was added on in the 1950s but the foundation hadn't been properly built and it was literally tilting when we bought the house (I was in 6th grade and the house was condemned; my mom bought it for $27,500 and because my stepfather was a general contractor, we did all the work on it ourselves).  The right part of the house was added when I was in high school and housed what became the new master suite and office upstairs, and garage and carpentry work space downstairs.  What you can't see in the picture is the ski mountain, which you would be able to see if the left part of the house weren't so tall.  Yes, I grew up skiing.  But only in the west.  Snow in the east is like cement. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had trouble. I use Macs too -- the Google Earth experience on Mac is essentially the same, though. The trick is to use the menus in Google Earth to add placemarks, overlays and annotations. But then you need to save it as a .kmz file. The conceptual thing is that you aren't annotating Google Earth for the entire world, just for yourself (on one computer). That .kmz file contains all the images and annotations. It can be passed along and shared with others though.

    ReplyDelete